- Q. What experience do Absolute Lofts have?
- A. Absolute Lofts has over 25 years of experience within this field. Our speciality is building high standard loft conversions and we are proud to have acquired a fine reputation from doing so these past decades. Our teams are made up of the finest tradesmen within their profession ranging from; Master Builders, architects, plumbers and electricians. Absolute Lofts values its team’s loyalty and many of our colleagues have been with the company since its very early days.
Absolute Lofts also runs a work experience programme which provides many aspiring young workers training in specific fields of work. We also attempt to train the youth of communities in which we serve professionally.
Q. Are you FMB registered?
A. Absolute Lofts is proudly registered with the Federation of Master Builders. Other notable affiliations with our Company are; BBS, Fairtrades and TrustMark.
Q. Are your architects RIBA qualified?
A. All of our architects are associated with and members of the Royal Institute of British Architects. We ensure that all of our architects are the best and are able to provide an excellent standard of work.
- Q. How long will planning take?
A. In most cases planning can take approximately 8 weeks in order to certify all aspects of the proposed job are accurate and correct.
Q. What about Planning Permission and Building Regulations?
A. Some loft conversions require Planning Permission and all have to adhere to Building Regulations. The quote you receive will include the preparation and submission of Plans to your local authority. We serve the appropriate notices and liaise with the authorities on your behalf.
Q. What is a Certificate of Lawfulness?
A. An LDC (Lawful Development Certificate) is a document which clearly states that all work being constructed on the owner’s house is lawful and within all building regulations. An LDC is not a mandatory requirement, however in some cases they benefit the proprietor if they should ever sell their property on. Additionally, if a planning committee enquire about any extensions or loft conversions to the house owner, this certificate will verify the lawfulness of such developments.
Click here to read more.
Q. Where will the new stairs be fitted?
A. Depending on the structural layout of your property the location of the new staircase can differ. However, in most cases we aim to always place the new staircase directly above the pre-existing stairs to create a more seamless flow from level to level.
Q. Can you build during the winter months?
A. Yes, we are able to build loft conversions throughout the entire year. Only once the structure to the loft conversion is complete and insulated do we begin work on building the staircase down into your home.
Q. Will I need a new fuse box?
A. This depends on the condition of your current fuse box. Electrical Regulations have changed more recently and therefore your property’s electrics must comply with these regulations. If your fuse box does comply with these, and can also cope with the electrical demands of a newly built loft conversion, then no. However if your fuse box fails to meet the regulation’s demands, or will struggle to effectively power your house and loft conversion, then you will need to install a new fuse box.
Q. Will I need a new boiler?
A. This will depend on the adequacy of your current boiler. If your boiler will be able to manage the additional output of heat and hot water, then you should not need to install a new boiler. However if you have an aged boiler and or it will struggle with its new demands, then a new boiler may have to be installed.
- Q. What puts the customer service team at Absolute Lofts ahead of the competition?
- A. We are the only firm of building contractors in London to offer a personalised online customer service centre where our existing clients may log in to download useful information such as their team’s contact details, find out the current status of their works and establish how works shall be progressing over the next few weeks. No other building contractor offers this level of dedication to keeping customers informed and up to date.
Q. Do you provide project management?
A. Yes, we provide management. Throughout the course of the loft conversion process, the contract manager will visit the site at least once or twice a week. This will ensure all work is progressing appropriately and will give you a chance to discuss any and all queries you may have.
- Q. How long will it take to convert my loft?
- A. This depends upon the type and size of your conversion and the interior works you choose to have done. However, we endeavour to complete building work within 6-12 weeks.
- Q. What sort of disruption should I expect?
A. Any disruption to the householder is kept to a minimum. This may include dust and noise, although the initial construction takes place from outside your property.
Q. Will we have to move out?
A. The proprietors will not have to vacate their home during the loft conversion process and can rest assured they will not have to move out.
Safeguarding the Environment:
- Q. What steps do you take to safeguard the environment?
- A. We only use timber from one company who are a member of Forests Forever, which is the environmental division of the Timber Trade Federation. The TTF are working to safeguard the world’s forests and Britain’s future timber supplies. Forests Forever encourages forest owners to improve management practices, members to source timber responsibly, and promotes the environmental benefits of wood as our only naturally renewable building material. www.ttf.co.uk
- Q. What guarantees do you give?
- A. At Absolute Lofts we are the only company to provide an insurance backed guarantee
of sound structure for up to 10 years for every loft conversion that we build.
Q. Do you have the relevant insurance?
A. Absolute Lofts is fully covered and in association with the Independent Warranty Association (IWA) so that all our customers can rest easy throughout the entire process.